Leaves are turning beautiful shades of yellow, orange, red and brown and are falling from the trees – aided and abetted by the winds, there can be no denying autumn is here!
For many this is a sign of miserable cold, damp, dark and dank things to come.
But for the eXtreme botanist Autumn signifies the commencement of another round of botanical fun!
Identifying trees and other plants when the flowers and even the leaves are going, going or gone altogether!
Autumnal challenges for the eXtreme botanist:
1. Can you ID a tree from its autumnal colours?
2. Can you ID a tree by first looking just at the leaves fallen beneath it?
3. Can you ID a tree from its leafless (but not lifeless) twigs? (OK these are not all leafless but you know what I mean!).
4. Can you ID a tree from its bark?
5. Can you ID a tree from the remains of its fruits? (more tree fruits to come here when Dr M gets his camera out!)
Autumn: one more amazing, challenging and fun season in the eXtreme botanical calendar!
Close-up: Click on any of the images once and then a second time to see the autumnal arboreal beauty in glorious close-up!